Welcome to Yachting Girls

Welcome to a blog where the adventures of a team of crazy women who are mad about sailing can be shared.
We are living in the beautiful Huon Valley in Tasmania, surrounded by outstanding sailing waters.  In June 2007 my husband and I purchased a Columbia 27 cruising yacht.  My husband crews in a Top Hat 24 in the races held by the Port Cygnet Sailing Club so our yacht was going to sit idle for most of the sailing season.  A great idea came to us - lets have an all women crew and take on the men!

Follow our adventures...share our laughs...cheer us on...

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Summer Race 2

It is wonderful to have such great friends who will take me aboard and let me sail even though there is little work for me to do. Wyvern was again my sailing berth with the Cap'n and my "Significant Other". Sunday's race was sailed in very gusty but also fickle winds that continually changed direction.  We sailed well, flying along in great gusts of wind - water creaming over the side.  Not much fun when your feet end up in 4 inches of water but very exhilarating none the less. It was a long race and the 11 yachts were well spread across the course.  Two yachts ended up withdrawing with gear problems and the rest were very competitive with small tussles between groups of yachts ongoing throughout the event. The Etchells were not out in force so Bushido had pretty much the lead to herself. The two Solings were vying for the lead very competitively until one had to pull out with a snapped halliard. For once the wooden, older yachts outnumbered the more modern GRP hulled racers and there was some strong competition for handicap results.  Of the 11 yachts that started we came 3rd with Bianco and Pelican placing 1st and 2nd. Still we are well in contention for a series win.
My confidence is still building and although little hands-on activity is available - at least I am good ballast in strong winds.
'Til next time... 

No comments: